How my love of movies influenced my art!

In 1968 the British movie adventure "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was in theatres. I honestly can't remember how old I was when I saw the film, since I was only 1 when it came out. Maybe at age 5 for the first time & many, many times since. I do remember the affect it had on me! Specifically, all the creative aspects of the film.
Mr. Potts played by Dick Van Dyke was an eccentric inventor, who created unique and unusual contraptions from the things he had collected. Just look at how wonderful these images are from the film. I could stare at them for days, picking out all the wonderful pieces throughout the barn.
Of course, I loved the magical car he built to take the kids on their amazing adventures, but I dreamed of being in that barn and letting my imagination run wild with all the things I'd love to create!
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Movie
I'm a believer in the saying "everything you've been through has prepared you for this moment" and that I am exactly where I am supposed to be right now!
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Movie
As clarity comes to me about my creative world and the work I want to create. I can see how this long path I've been on through out my artistic journey has led my to today! That all the work I created through out the decades was preparing me for the work I create today! The work that feels like ME, the works that fills my heart and makes me happy. Sure I am making robots and characters from rusty metal and antiques, and maybe people don't "get it" or understand the art. But that part doesn't matter to me. In creating each robot or character, I feel like each little piece I choose to build him with, makes him come to life! And each one makes me SMILE. So, if one of my pieces resonates with you and makes you SMILE, then it's exactly what I intended and my heart is happy!
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Movie
So why am I sharing photos from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Because yesterday I watched it for probably the 20th time while working in the studio. It hit me right away, the emotions and excitement I felt with the visuals of this film. It was magical! Even as a little girl I was already dreaming of a room filled with unique pieces and things to create art. I didn't know it then, but I sure do now!
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Movie
So many things have happened to me though out my career to get me to this moment, this ART, this creative world I live in now! Thank you universe! Thank you for listening and guiding me and showing me how to be BRAVE enough to listen to my heart...take a big JUMP and GO FOR IT!
Robots by Robin Davis Studio - Makeology Etsy made in Canada Show Sept 24th
To see more of my creations I make in my studio full of unique and unusual things, come see me at the Makeology Etsy Made in Canada Show - Sept 24th at the Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology.
I'd love to meet you!
Robin



Popular Posts